Waiheke Choral Society

Minutes of meeting  at Museum, 3 August 2008


The meeting opened at 4.00pm

Apologies: Andy & Maya Spence (Janet still overseas)

Present: Richard, Philip, Mark, Ann, Dee, Jeanne, Marion, Judy.

Minutes of previous meeting 14/7/08 were approved.  Moved Philip Sec. Richard


Matters Arising

The last item in minutes has not been actioned.


General Business

Performanc e of Handel’s  Messiah Part I Saturday 29 and Sunday 30 November at 2.00pm subject to St Peter’s Church being available. Richard to confirm.


Both A Cappella and full choir practices to continue at Whittaker’s until end of year subject to Whittaker’s management committee agreeing to us providing our own tea making facilities there.

 Philip to check with Marion Robertson

Ann to write letter to Palm Beach Hall Committee confirming that we will not be using the hall for the rest of the year and asking if piano could remain in hall until further notice.


A Capella practicing for concert entitled  Music of the Tudor Court  which will include the Byrd Mass – to be performed in October. Date and venue to be advised by Richard.


Financial Report.

The Treasurer presented the financial report following the recent production of Puss in Boots.

$15,000.00 in Bank.

Income from show $10,358.00

Expenses below budget.

Profits from show expected to be approximately $3,000.00

Some accounts still to be presented and some money from sponsors still outstanding.


Jack and Marie Watson to be reimbursed $30 (inadvertently charged twice for tickets)


Philip requested that Mathew Muir be given a donation of $200 towards expenses incurred in designing and painting backdrops. Philip/Richard  Agreed


Dee/ Jeanne That financial Report be accepted.  Passed.


Ann to write thank you letters to Mathew Muir (see above), Jo Woodward for help and support backstage, Mary Melville for efforts in obtaining and transporting costumes for show.


Next newsletter to include reminder re subscriptions outstanding. Mark and Dee preparing new membership list from subscriptions paid.


General Business resumed.

Review of show.

Lots of positive feedback. Some opinions that show too long with play and pantomime.

Philip commented  “No such thing as a small event”. 10 weeks rehearsal was okay but more preparation needed prior to rehearsals.Kept to rehearsal schedule.

Philip acknowledged contributions of Mark, Dee, Marion and Jeanne to smooth running of show.


 Recommendations for future shows:

More preparation before rehearsals begins.

More rehearsal time before performance.

Schedule more rehearsals than needed in last week.

Ushers needed at door. Worked well to have only one person on ticket sales/admission.

Advertising not as effective as it could have been.

Newspaper ads. Need to be proof-read. One phone number only on all advertising would be better.

Parent representative to be co-opted onto Production committee.


Choir Direction.

Richard responded to some reported comments that focus of choir seems to be changing and concerns that if a show is staged every year, some members who wish only to sing may be lost. Richard reiterated that it is a Community Choir which will continue to perform a range of music to meet different tastes. Some members will participate in shows and others in choral music only – with some choosing to do both.


Social Event.

Meal to be organized at the Surfdale Bowling Club for cast of show and members of Choral Society. Tentative date Sat. 30 August subject to confirmation with Bowling Club (Philip to check)

Agreed that Society will subsidise cost up to $10 per head for a smorgasbord type meal.


King and I costumes

Mark reported that a group in Nevada, USA has expressed interest in purchasing the costumes.

Agreed that we would ask for them to cover the cost of freight and a donation.


Future Planning

Richard, Judy and Philip to meet and brainstorm re next year’s show – to b ring ideas to next committee meeting.


Next Meeting: 5.00 30 August before meal at Bowling Club. (to be confirmed)

Meeting closed at 5.30pm